Woord en Daad supports some emergency relief services among migrants in Europe. However, our focus is on building a sustainable future within people’s own region, in other words solving the root causes of migration.
Many young people in Africa risk a life-threatening journey to Europe in the hope for a better life. Our strategy for giving them a bright future is different:
- Good quality vocational education. Qualitatively strong education is needed! This starts with motivated teachers who are an example for their students. Woord en Daad helps to provide that.
- Matching supply and demand on the labour market. No training of mechanics when there is a surplus of mechanics. Instead, vocational education for installers of solar panels when there is a demand for installers. Vocational colleges need to respond flexibly to labour market opportunities. We are working to make that happen!
- Job mediation. The search for a job begins after graduation. Woord en Daad supports ex-students and others during their job search by investing in job mediation. We do this by giving young people a place where they can read the latest vacancies, write their job application letter, and receive training in job interviews. In short: providing a place where self-confidence and entrepreneurship are built.
- Facilitating access to financial services.Young people in many countries cannot easily gain a loan, and so Woord en Daad is working to remove this obstacle. Our partners negotiate with banks and governments to encourage the establishment of small enterprises run by young entrepreneurs.
- Working towards awareness and a changed mindset. We believe information should be made available about the downsides of migration. People are often not adequately informed, and so their expectations are not realistic. We challenge young people, families, and communities to see opportunities in their own region. Together with our partner organizations, we work to make those opportunities available.
- Collaborating with the government.We seek to make the government aware of its responsibility and role. The government needs to help its youth and invest in the country’s future. We therefore encourage the government to be engaged with our work whenever possible!
A gift of €750 will enable a young adult to complete a vocational education course. That is just €15 per week of the course. A gift of €175 will enable a young adult to find a job through job mediation. How can you help young people to build their future?
Your donation can change a young adult’s life. Give young people the chance to build their future close to home!